Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mothers Day is for Mothers.

Mothers Day--that's what it's called. Not Girls Day, not Womens Day, not Mentors Day--Mothers Day. The day is about Mothers.

I understand that when people try to make it about all women, they are doing so out of some good place in their heart, but it doesn't make those of us without children feel any better. In fact, it annoys me.

It's Mothers Day. Don't try to make it something it's not.


Let's just focus on the Mothers, and the rest of us will suffer quietly through this one day a year. Is it too much to ask to not make us feel worse about our lack of "motherness?"

I wake up on Mothers Day, and I quietly grieve the fact that I am a mother with nothing to show for it. That while all my pregnant friends get to picture their beautiful unborn babies cooing "mommy", I have to imagine what my two children look like with fuzzy angel wings and a halo.

On Mothers Day, I try really hard not to pity myself but to instead focus on my wonderful mother, grandmother, mother-in-law and grandmother-in-law. But it's awfully hard to do that when I'm feeling patronized by everyone calling this a day to celebrate "all women in general."

That's not what this is. Mothers Day is about mothers. It doesn't make us feel better to pretend it's Womens Day, so just don't. I know I sound bitter, but I'm just stating a fact--Mothers' Day is titled that way for a reason. So go hug your mother.

1 comment:

  1. I know you don't know me and I don't know you, but I just stumbled upon your blog. . . and I just went through the same series of emotions you did. Thanks for posting your thoughts--it's nice to know I'm not the only one dealing with this (although where I live, it sure seems that way).

    ReplyDelete