Thursday, April 28, 2011

Message from the Past: Letter #2


Exactly 7 years ago, I wrote the note below to my hall of freshmen, sophomore and junior women. Funny--I needed to hear this wisdom today. Supposedly I'm now 7 years wiser than I was, 7 years older, 7 years more seasoned in the ways of man and God ... and yet, this reminder, from a younger, naiver (is that a word?), less tainted me was a breath of fresh air. Humorous, isn't it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
April 28, 2004

My beautiful ladies…how are you doing? Life is a whirlwind right now, isn’t it?  In the midst of all this chaos, remember to “Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts…” (Colossians 3:15) and “be still and know that [He] is GOD…” (Psalm 46:10).


I’ve been reading in 1 Samuel and was struck by this paragraph in Hannah’s prayer:

The LORD brings death and makes alive; he brings down to the grave and raises up.  The LORD sends poverty and wealth; he humbles and he exalts.  He raises the poor from the dust and lifts the needy from the ash heap; he seats them with princes and has them inherit a throne of honor. For the foundations of the earth are the LORD’s; upon them he has set the world.  He will guard the feet of his saints, but the wicked will be silenced in darkness. 
­­It is not by strength that one prevails. (1 Sam. 2:6-9)


The LORD is over all the earth; what makes me think He’s not over me? 
Or that He needs help guiding my life? 
All He asks is that we be faithful to pursue Him and surrender all.  Hold your life with open hands, and He will bless you in His way and His time. 
I love you girls and pray that you continue to learn to let the LORD show you His path for you. Don’t try to blaze your own trail; by your own strength, you will fail. With Christ, all things are possible!
~~~~~~~~~~~ 

I was reminded today that I answer to and only to Christ. My service here on this earth, no matter with what group of people or in what area, is for Christ. People will fail us; people will hurt us. People will reject us and people will neglect us. 

But my God humbles and my God exalts. My God brings death and my God makes alive. My God is in charge, and He is who I serve. No matter how ugly life on earth gets, no matter how hurtful life can be, my God is greater, my God is stronger ... 

And I serve Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment