Monday, April 16, 2012

17 Weeks: Movin' & Groovin'!

My goodness--this baby is on FIRE!

I've been sitting in this comfy chair for about 20 minutes, doing some journaling, reading, and crafting an email that I hope will encourage my ladies in my Growth Group, and "Baby L" has been having a BLAST bumping around inside me! This is the most consistent, lengthy bout of movement yet! So far, since week twelve, I've had random, unexpected jolts of movement, followed by stillness--sometimes days of stillness. But in the last 5 minutes, Baby L has apparently found his or her inner gymnast! I'm sitting here as long as I possibly can to enjoy this confirmation of a growing baby!

Something's been really bothering me lately ... I cannot for the LIFE of me remember how much weight I gained with Joshua! Why does it matter, you ask? Well, it doesn't, really. But the competitiveness in me--the part of me that loves to be competitive with myself (ala "Monica" from Friends, "Take THAT last year me!" Anyone? Anyone?!) really wants to know where I'm at now compared to then.

Anyway, just a random thought I thought I'd share as I sit here and revel in the dance moves of my second child. :)

Second child--whoa. I Skyped for like, 9 minutes with my sister-in-law and long time friend Elizabeth today. She had all four of her adorable children with her--and by with her, I mean climbing over, under, and on top of her. For a very brief moment, I saw all of their precious faces in the camera lens and I thought, "Sheesh! She's got 4 kids! And I'm freaked out about a second??"

My friend Becky told me on Sunday that it's when number 2 comes along that you discover just how strong you really are. She said you'll realize you're stronger than you ever thought possible. I groaned at her and said, "But I already DID that--when Joshua was born!" She laughed and said that nope, you can and will be even stronger.

We'll see, dear friend ... we'll see.

(Becky also has four children, and is one of my heroes. I just don't know how she does it .....)

Well, it seems as if Baby L has ended his or her dance party. I sure enjoyed it while it lasted. I can't wait until Baby L is here and big brother Joshua can teach his younger sibling all of his awesome dance moves and they can commiserate in their baby language and conspire to create all sorts of wonderful mischief to help show this mama just how strong she actually is.

I seriously can't wait--even though it makes me tired just thinking about it. :)

This is what life is all about--learning that nothing, absolutely nothing in this life is about me. If marriage is a relationship that makes me holy (thanks Gary Thomas for that tip), then motherhood is a joyous role that makes me frighteningly aware of my shortcomings, and increasingly and incredibly aware of His strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment