Sunday, November 8, 2009

Week 14: The Nursery

As some of you know, our nursery has been painted for well over 2 years.


It was kind of therapeutic for me, right after our losses, to have this project to work on. The color scheme was drawn from a quilt that my mother-in-law made for me.
I had picked out the fabric before we miscarried our first baby. One might think I wouldn't want to use that quilt, since it was chosen for a baby that didn't live, but in fact, I clung to that little quilt--and this room--as a symbol of hope.

Well, though I'm only 14 weeks, my mind is racing trying to decide how to match bedding, furniture and decor to this already colorful room. I need suggestions!

What color furniture? (the crib side in the picture is an option, and the crib will be centered under the set of squares. The squiggly white line is most likely going away. We're tired of it. :] )





What color bedding?


I adore the jungle animals on my husband's cousin's (so my cousin's?) store website (http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=33304455)--should I incorporate them?


Should we keep the daybed in there for guests? or take it down for more space? (forgive the cat in the photo--she wouldn't move.)


So many questions, so many decisions. :) I welcome the challenge, especially since I have months ahead of me to figure it out. Any ideas or suggestions?

9 comments:

  1. Hi Kristin, so here are my ideas. No hurt feelings if you disagree. But I would go with a dark wood - like espresso would be really pretty with the quilt and color of the room. As for the daybed....my suggestion would be to keep it. There were nights when Dylan was young and I wished I had a place to sleep. When he would get sick and wake up every 1 or 2 it would be so tiring to walk from my room to his to help him go back to sleep and then go back to my bed again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Diana! I like the darker wood too. And it would match the daybed. And thanks for your thoughts on the bed! I hadn't thought of that! Our rooms is literally two steps away, but especially on Saturday nights when Erik needs a solid night of sleep, I might just need another bed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the little animal prints - they are sooo cute! You should definitely get them :) Don't worry about needing extra room in the nursery. I don't think the daybed will get in your way at all and will probably be useful (like Diana said). You've seen our teeny tiny nursery and we love it. I'm so excited for you!!! Can't wait for a little baby to bless that cute room with dreams and giggles :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh! Thanks for loving those jungle animals ;). I can't wait to make something with his/her name on it maybe?? There are so many fun ideas it's so hard to choose. I always love jungle animals too since they are gender neutral, playful, and fun. I love darker wood too, but we have lighter wood in our kids' rooms...just kind of ended up that way. I think keeping the daybed wouldn't be so bad...you can always just move it later if you feel like it's getting in your way. When Kaeden was little he shared a room with our home office :). This is so exciting that you are decorating a nursery! Ugh!!!! I'm so happy for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those jungle animals are the cutest thing ever. And they already match color-wise!
    Have so much fun getting your nursery together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Morning, Kristin! How very FUN it is to picture you finishing the nursery and I am so glad you are using the quilt! Thank you! :) All your friends have wonderful ideas and I agree with them all! I LOVE jungle animals,too! And of course, if the daybed stays...I volunteer to sleep near your miracle baby when we visit! Grammie LOVES this little one so much and can't wait to welcome him/her into our lives! Have fun decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad the squiggly line is gone :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE the colors and LOVE the juggle prints!! Oh so cute!!
    I really highly doubt you will ever have a guest actually sleep in the room with your baby, however!! =) Babies are light, quirky sleepers. Who wants to chance waking them up?!? =) I agree that YOU may use it, but you may also want to have a rocker in there. Do you have room for that, too? What about dresser, changing table, etc?
    I know it's hard to have the same explosive joy as it seems your friends are privileged to enjoy, but remember that EVERY SINGLE MOTHER has terrible, rational or irrational, fears concerning her baby. It's just normal. We ALL fear the "what ifs" whether something has happened to us or not. . .=( We've all heard the stories and we all know it could happen to us. . .
    "But I trust in the name of the Lord our God."
    LOVE YOU...!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I say YES to the jungle animals too! LOVE IT! I second what Jen said... It is doubtful the guest bed would be used in there while the baby is young... And you may have nights where you want to camp out... but if your bedroom is so close, you will have NO problem hearing that little one! :) I love how all your colors go together with the jungle animal theme- so cute!! There is NOTHING like getting your nursery ready for your first-born! Enjoy every single second! Love you lots! Can't wait to see more pictures!

    ReplyDelete