Monday, March 1, 2010

A Photograph

"He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation."
Colossians 1:15

I've often wished that I had pictures of Jesus. Oh I know there are hundreds of paintings that depict what some artist thinks Jesus looked like, but we all know these are not accurate. I desire a photograph. Can you imagine stumbling across a tattered and worn photo in your grandmother's attic, and realizing as you wipe away the dust that the man in the picture is none other than Jesus Christ, the Son of God?! That would be incredible. Incredible because He is the image of God. I would be looking at an image of the "image of the invisible God"--how cool would that be? Those early early Christians--the disciples and other followers--they have no idea how blessed they were to actually see Jesus. To witness His visit to this earth; to possibly even touch his hand or foot. How absolutely divine ...

I've been with Jesus for a long time. I don't say that pridefully; it's just a fact. Since I was a very little girl, I have loved Jesus. The Bible, I must admit, sometimes becomes very dry to me. Some might struggle with reading the Bible for an variety of reasons--I struggle with reading it because it feels like I've heard it all before. I battle this daily, and wish the feeling would go away. I wish I would cherish and love the Word, and only want to dive deeper still into it. But, sadly, that's simply not the case right now.

However, when I read passages like this (Colossians 1), and really consider what Paul is saying, I am astounded by the Lord that I follow.

"For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have supremacy. For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him, and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross." Colossians 1: 16-20

Christ is, does and did all these things. He's not just the pretty face sent down from heaven to be the point person for God. He's not like that creepy green wizard guy in the Wizard of Oz with no real power. Jesus Christ, well, He is God. And He desires a relationship with me--and with you. Isn't that incredible?

No comments:

Post a Comment